May 8, 2007

A lot of people can't even spell grammar

My middle school and high school drilled proper grammar into us with machine-like precision (As I write this, I'm hoping I don't make any grammatical errors, since that would be pretty embarrassing). However, my school was somewhat rare in this respect. It must have been, as I constantly come across writing and people who have little grasp of the subject. The link below has a few common mistakes and how to correct them. I will now also add a few of my own:

1. Using an apostrophe for a plural. It boggles the mind that I still see people doing this.
Right: I have three dogs.
Wrong: I have three dog's.

2. Spelling the words "definite" or "definitely" wrong
No explanation needed, just get it right

3. Using the expression "try and." You'll see this one in newspapers and edited websites even. If you think about the individual words, you'll see it makes little sense. This one is a personal pet peeve of mine, and it's very common.
Right: Try to open that door.
Wrong: Try and open that door.

4. Misuse of the word "literally."
Wrong: My heart literally broke when he said that.
Perhaps you need to go to the hospital.

Those are just a few. As a final gesture of goodwill, I want to encourage everyone to go to Mozilla.org and download the latest edition of Firefox. It has built in spell check. Spell a word wrong while typing something, and Firefox underlines the word in red. You can even add words to the dictionary, if you don't want it to underline your last name or something. This spell check works in Blogger, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, Gmail, and most anywhere else you can type stuff. You'll never spell definite wrong again!

10 flagrant grammar mistakes that make you look stupid - ZDNet UK

2 comments:

Matt said...

This drives me insane as well. I spend a lot of time on ND message boards to discuss football, and the lack of grammar and/or spelling ability is astounding. The same is true of many widely-read blogs. This only perpetuates the problem because many people view popular blogs as authoritative sources of literature. My pet peeves:

1) There is a difference between "your" and "you're"

2) "There", "their", and "they're" are all different things.

3) "It's" is a contraction; "its" is possessive.

4) Why can't anyone spell the word "weird" correctly? It's not "wierd", for crying out loud!

5) People who think they're smart and use "I" instead of properly using "me" in a sentence. For example, the sentence "My wife baked an apple pie for my sister and I" is incorrect. If it's in a prepositional phrase, use "me" for crying out loud!

s_man said...

Everyone wasn't privileged enough to have Mrs. Baily.