October 19, 2006

Paper Topic

I have to write a 15-20 page research paper based on anything in my textbook. One article discussed the stacking of Latinos into central positions (i.e., middle infield) in the Major Leagues. It ended in 1992, so I'm extending their data and looking to determine why things are the way they are and see if there is an explanation better than racial stereotypes. I think there is, but I'll let you know why once I do my research. So far, I have a list of all the players eligible for the batting title since 1992 along with their positions and my best estimate of whether or not they're Latino. Usually, I can figure it out from the names, but it's good to check birthplaces too. It also helps to just know that Bernie Williams is Puerto Rican instead of, say, Kansan.

No comments: