August 4, 2006

I got nothin'

Attention TV personalities: we understand and believe that it's hot in New York City. By the way, there are other places in this great land of ours. Get out and see them some time. I hear the Northeast Kingdom is nice (bonus points if you have any idea what or where that is).

Recruiting would be a lot easier if Wheaton would either give some academic scholarships or use that estimated $300 million endowment to lower tuition. I hear they're saving it for Y2K.

Does anyone else find the new Jeep Compass Commercial really annoying? Is that an actual song or did they write it specifically for the commercial? I'm still trying to decide which would be worse. (update: it's a real song by KRS-One called "Steady Bounce.")

You're not going to believe this, but Janet finished her paper and sent it off to her professor for revision. It's 15,000 words and is 53 double spaced pages long. That's 53 glorious pages about the domestic science movement at the turn of the 20th century. I read the whole thing. Just remember, in the words of Sarah Tyson Rorer, "Life is too short to spend it digesting pork."

Maybe I've mentioned this before, but I don't get those Apple commercials where the guy who played Warren on Ed is the Mac and that other guy is the PC. Is the fact that the Mac acts like a jerk in all of them supposed to make me want to run out and buy one?

I was inducted into the CVCA Athletic Hall of Fame this year. The ceremony is October 6th, and I'm trying to work a recruiting trip into things so I can justify the trip back. (CVCA wrestling partial recordbook here)

If you're going to drive your 80's diesel Mercedes that sounds like a semi at 7am, could you at least not honk the horn on your way out of the parking lot? Thanks.

After the Abreu trade, I feel sorry for any Phillies fans out there. They traded their best player for some spare parts minor leaguers for no better reason than that they wanted to get rid of him. Why? Who knows? Of course, cheering for the Phils is better than being on the other side of the Keystone State and cheering for the Pirates, who are almost Cub-like in their cluelessness.

In the 'I told you so' department: Target has announced they will not build that store in Chicago's South Side after all after the city council passed a law requiring big box stores to pay a minimum of $9.25 per hour to workers by 2007 and phasing up to $10 by 2010, with benefits of at least $1.50 per hour (phasing up to $3). Look for more big box stores just a bit outside of the city from now on.

All for now.

2 comments:

Jimmy said...

Okay, so the Pirates are clueless (though they did manage to pull off a sweep against the Giants last week [I'm sure Bonds got a big old boo when he stepped up to plate at PNC]), but when you live on that side of the state, it's just the way of life. You've still got to cheer for them. LET'S GO BUCS!

Lisa said...

The Northeast Kingdom!!! I just heard about that for the first time yesterday. I laughed... do you recommend visiting there?