March 23, 2006

Strider Update

Just in case you wondered, life is good at Strider Wrestling. We started two weeks ago with our spring practices at Community Fellowship and have had awesome turnout. We've been in the 40's and 50's for numbers each day so far, and the decision to break up the group by age has worked out well. On Monday and Tuesday nights I come home tired and without much of a voice, but it's a good feeling so far. The kids are enthusiastic and learning quickly. I'm excited to see the progress they make as we start to get into some more complex technique. It's a delicate balance of wanting to challenge the kids who either have experience or are pretty good athletes/learners but also trying to make sure the pace doesn't leave too many kids behind. The older age group is 8-12, but in that range, the difference between the kids is more than age. Some kids are better than others at listening and paying attention, but this is my challenge. I can't very well expect a bunch of 10 year olds to act like college wrestlers with years of experience, can I? It's a learning process for me as well. I clearly have no formal training when it comes to teaching kids, since that wasn't one of my required classes in engineering school. What I do know is how to wrestle and how to demonstrate the technique. Every day, I figure out better ways to pass that knowledge along to the next generation of wrestlers. I should probably talk to some of my elementary school teacher friends and see what they do to keep the kids in line.

No comments: