September 14, 2005

Eastern Europe Journal #1 - 8/1 and 8/2

I am finally beginning to post my journal from our trip on the web. Today, you get August 1st and 2nd, two days because riding on an airplane doesn't give much to talk about. Hopefully, I will keep this up and get you through my trip right quick.

August 1st, 2005 - Somewhere over Ohio
Sitting at the gate before our flight out of Cleveland, a kid was talking loudly and obnoxiously. I leaned over to Janet and whispered, "If there's any justice in this world, that kid will be far away from us on the plane." I should have just kept my mouth shut, since my utterance no doubt resulted in him having the seat directly behind us, a fact his mouth made sure we didn't forget for most of the 50 minute ride to Cincinatti.

August 2nd, 2005 - Berlin
I haven't slept a whole lot the past 24 hours. Something about getting used to a new time zone. Of course, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't ready to fall over and pass out here at 6pm. Janet and I have really chewed up the scenery here in Berlin. I took some great pictures. Some people like natural scenery, but an interesting building is way better in my book.

Touring Berlin is way easier when Janet is around. She reads the signs and orders food for me so I don't have to sound like an idiot when I want a Coke (which costs around $2 for 1/3 liter and comes without ice). Janet has also served as group translator, especially when we checked into the hotel. I shudder to think what would have transpired had she not been with us, though she and I both have the sneaking suspicion that the German hotel people knew way more English than they let on.

No comments: