July 17, 2005

I saw Jennifer Aniston's back

And that's about it. She walked by in the upper part of the theater, and I only caught a glimpse as she walked past while I was down on the floor.

Maybe I should back up.

I was an extra in the latest Vince Vaughn/Jennifer Aniston movie, The Break Up, one day this past week. I found out about it from Leah, and mailed in the necessary information. They then called and told me when and where to be. For a while, I was worried that my placement in the concert scenes being filmed that day (featuring the Old 97s, who I hadn't heard of) would result in the chances of spotting myself in the film were nil. Then, by some random act, I was chosen to move down to the first level of the theater. The camera was maybe seven feet away and pointed in my general direction. Based on my guesses, if they decide to use the scene, I should be recognizable in the final production. So, if you go see this movie when it comes out months from now, look for the girl with the green shirt and cowboy hat. I'll be the short guy behind her to the left.

It was a seriously long day. There's no glamour in being an extra. I was there from 8:40am to 10:30pm. Janet says she missed me. They did feed us, which was good, but the main thing you do when you're an extra is nothing. You sit and wait and make a friend or read while waiting for them to tell you what to do. Since there were 800 of us, the "holding area" was a college gym, and the theater/set was three or four blocks down the road. Some people do this kind of thing all the time, but I think every once in a great while will be enough for me. What I'll take away from it most is not the $125 I made, but more the experience and the story to tell. "Hey, I was an extra in a major motion picture," I can say, and you will be impressed, right?

Anyhow, I'd recommend it if you get the chance, if for no other reason than to be able to say that you did it. Of course, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't beat at the end of the day, and it took a lot of effort to avoid falling asleep on the train ride home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at you!

MRV

Anonymous said...

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Cosmo on my Screen