June 9, 2005

Strider Wrestling

Many of my readers are already aware of what I'm about to announce, but I'm sure there are some who aren't, or at least are fuzzy on the details. I'll get the basics out of the way today, and I'll talk more about it in the coming week or two.

I am no longer going to be an engineer. My last day at Infineon is tomorrow, June 10th, 2005. Janet and I will be moving to a suburb of Chicago, Illinois, and I will become the Program Director for a newly formed non-proft organization called Strider Wrestling. My responsibilities will be twofold. First, I will become the assistant wrestling coach at Wheaton College. The current head coach, Dr. Seth Norton, is also a full time economics professor at the college, and my job will be to help ease the administrative, recruiting, and training load on him. The second part of the job will be organizing and coaching a youth wrestling program for K-8 students. The original plan is to operate the clubs in two locations: College Church in Wheaton and Lawndale Community Church in inner city Chicago. As the organization's first (and only, for now) employee, I will have a lot of work to do to get this off the ground, but I will also have the rare opportunity to help determine what it will be and where it will go.

Janet will be attending graduate school at Loyola University of Chicago and (hopefully) working part time. We're very excited about the opportunities we have, though we still have much to do in order to be ready to move out of our apartment in less than two weeks. If anyone reading this has any questions or comments, leave it in the comments or send me an email.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Good luck with your new job! ...it sounds a bit more fun than engineering. And Chicago is an awesome city (almost beats Toledo...)

Lara said...

Ohh.... Loyola. I hope she enjoys the Jesuit university experience as much as I have. Good stuff.