May 19, 2005

Old Man Body

So my hip started hurting the other day this week. Janet, of course, had no sympathy. "Your hip hurts? What are you, 90?" was her exact response. Never mind her, though. I just started taking some ibuprofen, which seems to help dull the pain. Perhaps it would stop hurting if I would stop running every day, but I don't really want to do that. I'll probably take a break this weekend. The hip is a little sore when I start running, but once I get going, I don't really notice it until I cool down later that day.

This reminds me of wrestling with injuries, in a tangential sort of way. Whenever you have a minor injury that doesn't keep you from wrestling, drilling was the hardest part for me for a couple of reasons. First, you have to let your partner train as well, so you're getting thrown to the ground repeatedly. This can irritate a sore knee or wrist. Second, when you do the move yourself, you are repeating the same motions over and over, and if that irritates the injury, it irritates it repeatedly. Actually competing, whether in practice or in matches, is a much more fluid and flexible situation. You don't end up doing the same things over and over, and you're also more focused on your opponent than a banged up joint.

It's only tangentially related to my hip because running is nothing but repeated movements. People train for years to be able to repeat the same stride thousands of times in a row with little variation. My hip hurts less when I'm running for a completely different reason than my wrist used to hurt less in competition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suggest you go to see your doc and to a PT. Nip it in the bud. Take it from a man with multi-joint issues.

Dad