November 12, 2004

A thin copper wire or two

Tonight saw the great networking fight of the month. I have been trying, without success, to get our computers to play nice with each other. It has not gone well. All I want is to be able to share files and printers without a big headache. Well, I think I figured it out. My computer is talking to Janet's computer and everything is great. We'll see what happens when I turn them off for the night and back on the next day. Maybe they'll have forgotten all about each other through the night. Then I'll have to go through it all over again. I might end up leaving them on all the time to keep this from happening again. I doubt it though, because then I'll be like Brooke and Jake, who seem to have a compulsive need to leave their computers turned on every minute of every day. Heck, Jake left his on when he went out of town a few weeks ago.

Part of the problem, I think, was my firewall. It didn't want to let Janet's computer come play. I had to give it a pat on the head and tell it that Janet's computer was one of the nice ones, and it wouldn't be bringing any viruses or spyware or other such malice. It's looking good so far. If I don't post again on this, let's assume everything is going swimmingly.

No comments: