June 8, 2004

Stole my lunch

Not my lunch money, my actual lunch. You see, we had new employee orientation yesterday, and we had forms to fill out with what we wanted for lunch. A few people neglected to grasp the concept that in order to get a lunch, you have to give the paper back to the people in charge. This didn't stop them from taking lunches, however. As such, I watched in horror as my lunch was taken by one of these poor souls. I didn't know it until I went to get mine, and I looked around, wondering could have happened, until I saw one of my fellow new employees happily munching away, oblivious to the fact that his lunch order sheet sat next to him on the table. I ended up eating something I hadn't ordered, and it was fine, but it still made me a little bit cranky. This same person asked a jillion dumb questions of the people doing the presentations. Many of the questions were highly detailed and applied only to him, or to noone. For example, he probably asked 10 questions (no joke) concerning the company's policy for disability and extended leave. He looked pretty healthy to me, and he wasn't married, so I'm not sure what the problem was. Was he planning to quit the job if the answers he got weren't satisfactory? My feeling on that is, if you need it, you're not going to be quibbling with the specifics, since you're not in much position to care about it. Also, you theoretically have the time to read all the available information without asking 46 highly specific questions about how many sick days in a row you can take before you need a doctor to say it's ok. The silver lining on this cloud is that he works in Vermont in an area of the company I should never have to deal with, so we shan't cross paths again.

No comments: