June 20, 2004

Has it come to this?

We went to the mall yesterday. It was a big mall, 184 stores and restaurants, counting kiosks. Pretty much everything was there. If they don't have it, you don't need it. The point here is how much time I spent looking around at Williams-Sonoma. It's a good store, and if I were a millionaire, I would be able to shop there. Everything is pretty expensive, but if you ever wondered what the latest and greatest in cookware is, this is the place to go. You can see the finest in clad pots and pans, which are truly the thing to have, unless copper lined with Teflon is your thing. Either way, you're looking at heirloom prices there. The cute thing was the couple we overheard getting the scoop on cutlery (that's knives for you small words people). Apparently, they were registering at this place (we had Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond...sometimes life isn't fair) and the salesman told them all about knives. I was overhearing him say something about the dishwasher and that was why some knives had a certain handle. It was all I could to to keep my mouth shut and tell them that you should never, ever, even if St. Peter tells you it's OK this one time, put your sharp knives in the dishwasher under penalty of death. You might as well smack your knives on a rock repeatedly. This is a good note to anyone moving out and getting their own stuff. Do not put cooking knives in the dishwasher. Also, stay away from ceramic blades. Sure they're sharp and keep their edge well, but they cost more than your first car, and they can shatter if you drop them on the floor. Oh, and that funky metal stick that comes with the set is not a sharpener, it's a honing steel. Look up the difference if you care for your cutlery.

I think the real lesson here is this: Andy gets way too excited about knives and cookware.

Additionally: Andy's wish list now includes
1. Cast Iron Skillet - How have I made it this far without one
2. Grill Pan - I don't have a grill, but this is nearly as good
3. Food Processor - If you know a good one for less than 100 bucks, tell me now
4. Kitchenaid with Flames on it - I'm pretty sure they don't make these, but if you've seen Alton Brown on Good Eats, it's darn cool

Oh, and congratulations to Vikki on doing all sorts of big girl things in Maryland. It's touching when another of my friends moves out on their own.

No comments: