May 16, 2004

Feeling old for the first time

It was quite the education going to the mall today. First, I went into Abercrombie & Fitch, maybe looking for some khaki pants. Good luck; everything in there was at the cutting edge of teenage fashion. I beat my clothes up enough as it is; I don't need to buy them already frayed, faded, and torn. Then, I went into American Eagle, and I must look old or something, because one of the girls working in the store stopped me and asked me if Boston sang "We Built This City." It appeared to be a bone of contention between several of the staff. I informed her that no, Boston did not sing the song, it was Jefferson Starship. Was I the only one there who knew this? Perhaps. Finally, I was forced to admit something I had, until today, been able to deny. When it comes to clothes, you often get what you pay for. I found pants that fit me and looked good. That's the good news. The bad news is that they were in J. Crew, which isn't exactly Walmart, if you get my drift. Either way, I bought a pair of pants that, stunning though they are, are more expensive than any pair of pants I've ever owned.

I do have the consolation of knowing that at 23, I'm nowhere near over the hill, just a little closer to the top than some. I still have a long way to go.

No comments: